Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Garlic-lime halibut

Market day today. Everything on this plate was either grown in our garden or purchased at the farmers market, including amazingly fresh halibut steaks. As we learn to cook without our kitchen, I find that we're eating healthier. Grilled meats and vegetables. Little added oil or butter. Lots of leafy greens.


Produce at the farmers market can be expensive. It's a real factor for people who're working with a tight budget, and sadly, sometimes the emptiest calories are the cheapest. However, I've found that our food bills haven't gone up as I've begun to purchase more from farmers markets. I wonder if it's because the food is more flavorful and therefore more satisfying. We're also eating more vegetables and smaller portions of meat which reduces cost. Growing one's own vegetables is another option. I know a couple of families who have thriving vegetable gardens in their front yards. Attractive landscaping doesn't have to be all shrubs, annuals, and water-guzzling lawn grasses.

And speaking of growing vegetables, does anyone know where I can get mustard seed and dill seed? I'm planning to make refrigerator dill pickles with our cucumbers, and can't find these at my usual haunts.


Garlic-lime halibut
1 and 1/4 lbs halibut steak
juice of 2 limes
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt
pepper

In a small bowl, mix lime juice, minced garlic, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat grill to medium heat. Spoon marinade onto both sides of halibut. Place on grill. Cook approximately 5 minutes per side, until firm and flaky.

Delicious and so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. I love reading your thoughts and responses.