Monday, March 1, 2010

Kid-friendly fried turbot fillets

Wild-caught turbot fillets were a featured special in my local Whole Foods. A thing I like about buying specials (aside from its being very budget-friendly) is that it pushes me to try new foods and new recipes. I had no idea what turbot was. After cooking it, I still couldn't identify a turbot from a salmon in the wild, but I do know that fried turbot is yummy and kid-friendly (and an excellent choice for Fridays during Lent).



A note about bones: the portion of the fillet towards the tail has the fewest bones. So if serving children, that's the portion that you should give them. Thanks to the Whole Foods fishmonger for that very helpful tip. The turbot fillets I purchased from them were boneless.

Kid-friendly fried turbot fillets:
(adapted from a few recipes)

1.5 lbs turbot fillets
1 egg
panko bread crumbs
flour
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 clove garlic
oil

In a bowl, combine egg, mustard, and a minced clove of garlic. Heat oil in frying pan (I poured enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan in about a quarter-inch of oil.) Dredge fillet in flour. Dip it in egg mixture. Coat in panko crumbs. Fry in pan, flipping over when browned. Drain on paper towels.

Serve with tartar sauce (mayonnaise, relish, fresh lemon juice), lemon slices, or ketchup.

Every single child, even the picky one, ate their servings. One asked for seconds. This counts as a huge hit in my household. We ate the fish with a baguette and garlicky broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. I love reading your thoughts and responses.