Monday, November 1, 2010

Time flies frittata

Do you remember that tree in its autumn glory that I photographed just last week? As I drove up to the house today, I realized that it was almost bare. A few bedraggled leaves clung to its branches.

Time flies.

Yesterday may have been my son's last Halloween to go trick or treating. He's eleven. We talked about whether or not he was going. In the end, he went with some friends. He donned some funky shades, a skinny tie, and spiky blue hair to go as the 80s. Too cool for an adorable, elaborately detailed costume anymore.

Time flies.

Some friends of mine have an incredible vegetable garden in the front yard of their suburban Boston home. I think I've written about them before. A couple of days ago, they were preparing their garden for its winter rest. They shared some gorgeous Italian sweet peppers with us, the last of the summer crop.

So this is my time flies frittata, using the reminders of a summer garden as the temperatures dip near freezing.


A frittata is an incredibly versatile dish, one perfectly suited to this age of economizing. Refrigerate any extra veggies from your recipes. After a few days, cook with eggs and cheese for a quick, easy, frugal meal.

This particular frittata combined Italian sweet peppers with Italian pork sausage, eggs, and a mixture of parmigiano reggiano and mozzarella. Hearty, delicious, and the perfect protein antidote to the Halloween sugar rush.


Italian sweet pepper and sausage frittata

3/4 lb Italian sausage
2 Italian sweet peppers, chopped fine
1/2 large purple onion, chopped fine
12 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
1 cup shredded mozzarella
olive oil

Cook and crumble sausage in a large pan. Set aside.

Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil on pan. Saute peppers and onion until tender. Add sausage to pepper/onion mixture in pan and spread flat. Pour eggs over mixture and cook over medium heat until the eggs start to set on top.

Sprinkle parmigiano reggiano, then mozzarella over the top. Place pan under a broiler until the cheeses start to brown.

6 comments:

  1. There's something about frittatas! I don't eat eggs but am eager to try a vegan version....even if it will only be an imitation frittata!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you use as egg substitute? Nah. Not imitation...genuine vegan frittata! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby made frittata a few days ago and it was the first time having it. I love it it is so delicious and so simple to make. Your frittata looks so delish and the right thickness. We use the wrong pan so ours came out a bit thin. Now I see yours, I want to ask my hubby to make it again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your weekend frittata came out the perfect thickness. That said, thick or thin, they're both delicious. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious. I might steal your recipe.
    "He donned some funky shades, a skinny tie, and spiky blue hair to go as the 80s." Sounds like a fun costume!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, he was rockin' the 80s mojo. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I love reading your thoughts and responses.