Thursday, July 8, 2010

Softness triumphs over hardness,

"feebleness over strength. What is malleable is always superior to that which is immovable. This is the principle of controlling things by going along with them, of mastery through adaptation."
- Lao-Tzu

My new mantra. That I'm repeating repeatedly. Because surprises du jour are a specialty of the house under renovation.


A key tool in my trusty survival kit. Good for all renovation ills, including anxiety, irritability, frustration, nervousness, and the vapors. Plus, it has antioxidants.

Sadly, I think dark chocolate-covered pomegranate has met its match today.

Two little ones with explosive tummy bugs. While our washer and dryer sit unhooked in the dining room. Perhaps I should bleach the sheets in the tub? Now that's an idea. The steam cleaner blew a major downstairs fuse. Which cannot be fixed until the Man-who-knows-electricity returns with son from camp.

So picture us. Packed inside a hot, demolished, cluttered, boxed-up house. With bacteria flying every-which-way. While feeling a little peaky oneself.

Today was the big reveal after the asbestos abatement. Pulling off the old flooring layers revealed more "what the heck were they thinking?!?" challenges. Inevitably, large DIY projects have now ballooned to become enormous ones.


I am soft, feeble, malleable. I'm adapting. I need more dark chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. I love reading your thoughts and responses.