Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bluebonnets for Beantown (courtesy of K. Kilgore Photography)

It's bluebonnet season in Central Texas, and from all accounts, the bluebonnets are blooming in abundance this year. When I first moved to the land of bluebonnets, I was fresh out of college, dewy and new and ready to jump into grownuppery. And now, two decades later, not so dewy and far from new, I miss the wide swaths of cheery blue blossoms that herald spring. Thanks to my friend, the talented photographer K. Kilgore, I'm able to share my beloved bluebonnets with you.



K. Kilgore Photography focuses on portraiture and fine arts prints. Here are some of her thoughts on photography.
K. Kilgore: Photography makes me happy. I love shooting wildflowers, sunrises and sunsets, old tombstones (yes, really!), antique vehicles, and people. All kinds of people. Especially children. I love to try to capture the true essence of a person in an image. It’s not easy to do and doesn’t always happen, but when it does, it’s amazing. It’s why I love to photograph children. There are no walls of self-consciousness to break through, only excitement and awe at life’s simplest pleasures. When I’m able to capture that in a photograph that a mom can hold in her hands and her heart for always, I fall in love with photography all over again.


Recently, she took her camera and family to the little city of Burnet, Texas, for the 27th Annual Bluebonnet Festival.
K. Kilgore: Burnet is officially recognized by the Texas Legislature as the “Bluebonnet Capital of Texas," and it does not disappoint! The Bluebonnet Festival is a three day affair with a parade, carnival rides, arts and crafts booths, turkey legs, and fried (!) Twinkies. There's plenty of Texas-style fun: a gunfighter shoot out, authentic Cowboy breakfast, demolition derby, Saturday night street dance and all the live music you can handle. Good family fun with a little something for everyone, all wrapped up in miles and miles of Texas wildflowers.









Many thanks to K. Kilgore for sharing her work with us. Contact her through her website or on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. I love reading your thoughts and responses.