Saturday, September 19, 2009

Peaches as summer fades

I just discovered this on another blog. Thinly sliced fresh peaches, tossed in a little sugar, and then steeped overnight in dry white wine. You eat the slices with a fork and drink the liquid. Can you say "yum"??? This sounds divine. The essence of summer. But summer here is fleeting, and I'm afraid that it has already passed. I'll check this week for fresh peaches. Maybe I can grab one last taste before we step wholeheartedly into fall.

As the peaches fade, apples surge. Perhaps I should be cultivating a taste for apples. I'm thinking that an apple picking trip is in order. Apple crisp. Apple pie. Applesauce. And perhaps some mulled apple cider. Claire has been asking for apple butter.

I found this recipe for "All Day Apple Butter" on allrecipes.com.

5 1/2 pounds apples - peeled, cored and finely chopped
4 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt

It basically cooks all day in a slow cooker: 1 hour covered on high, 9-11 hours covered on low with occasional stirring, then 1 hour uncovered on low, whisking occasionally. Pour into sterile containers.

This sounds intriguing. And easy. And yummy. But what in the world is a sterile container? Something clinical with the antiseptic tang of a hospital leaps to mind. But I think what is meant are canning jars. Right? That is an entirely foreign world to me. Where does one buy canning jars and how does one sterilize them? Must google.

I've found a few apple cider recipes that sound delish and warming. I'm wondering if I could introduce a little extra warmth in the cider. I've heard red wine (sounds odd), rum (hmmm...really?). I'm wondering about brandy...after all Calvados is apple brandy or perhaps whiskey? So many delicious options.

The leaves have started to turn. Just a bit. And I'm looking forward to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. I love reading your thoughts and responses.