Friday, October 16, 2009

Pine sap removers that work

I'd meant to post days ago. But time passed, and I didn't. As it's useful stuff, I thought better late than never.

(Other blog subjects that I'd meant to post, but didn't include our trip to the farm, our trip to Arnold Arboretum, and our culinary adventures with peaches and applesauce. Oh well. This just means I'm too busy living life to blog, right? Or just too tired after long days of living life with three children.)

Anyway. After much internet research, we came up with these candidates for pine sap removal.



These are (from left to right) hand sanitizer, non-acetone nail polish remover, and rubbing alcohol.

And after extensive testing of the first two (haven't gotten to the rubbing alcohol yet), I'll say that non-acetone nail polish remover works fantastically. You pour a little onto a clean cloth, dab it generously on the sap, and scrub it off. Then you wash off the area with water. You have to keep moving to a clean area on your cloth because the sap sticks to the cloth. Other than that, it really does work well. I got my hood almost entirely clean in a bit less than an hour.

The hand sanitizer. Well. I tried it on the windows. I glopped the sanitizer directly on the glass, waited a while, and then scrubbed. It worked okay, but the glass didn't come clean as easily as I'd hoped. Now...this was after a long time of working on the hood so my fingers may just have been tired. Or perhaps the hand sanitizer is just not as effective. I keep planning to head back out to the car to finish taking off the sap marks, but a combination of busy schedule and weather have conspired to keep me from it.

2 comments:

  1. Pine Sap removal is very easy with Lestoil. It also gets out oil & grease stains from your laundry - just put a little on the stain, let set a few minutes & throw in with regular laundry. Laundry will smell like lestoil when wet, but once dry the scent disappears! It works even if the stains are set in by the dryer!! I keep Lestoil in a small squirt bottle with my laundry detergent & use it all the time - works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...thanks for the tip. I'll have to get some to try out next sap season.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I love reading your thoughts and responses.